*** VCS IT has updated its support process to provide technical and training support to all of our faculty and staff in a safe manner. This is an addendum to the previous How to Get Help article.
Due to the potential health risks associated with the Covid19 pandemic, VCS IT has adopted safety guidelines consistent with directives from the Santa Clara County Public Health Department as it relates to social distancing and wearing of masks, as well as the added precautions of limiting exposure to groups, using antiviral hand sanitizer, cleaning shared surfaces, and frequently washing hands with soap and water.
In addition to the process outlined in the original How to Get Help article, this addendum includes modifications to our support processes in order to reduce risk of infection for both IT staff, and those we serve in the VCS community.
Modifications to Non-urgent Requests
- Faculty/staff continue to submit a work request through email@example.com.
- Most tasks can be accomplished via phone call or remote support (Zoom, RescueAssist)
- If hardware support is needed, faculty/staff may make an appt with IT staff using the technician’s Calendly link, then drop off their laptop or iPad to the ITC for service at the appointed time
- The device is brought to the ITC and placed on the table outside of the ITC door
- All interactions take place outside
- IT staff assigned to the problem will first disinfect the entire laptop using antiviral cleaning materials safe for electronic devices
- IT staff allow the laptop to become completely dry (45-60 seconds) and then commence working on repairs/resolution
Once the problem is resolved the technician will reply to the ticket advising the requester when and where they can pick up the unit - alternatively we can drop it off to the classroom if the teacher is unable to pick up the unit
- The table will be cleaned after every interaction with a person and device using providing cleaning materials
- IT staff will again disinfect the entire laptop using antiviral cleaning materials prior to returning the unit
- IT staff will wear masks at all times while outside of their office space or in public areas and we ask that faculty and staff do so as well
Requestors call x2555. Remote support is preferred. However, if IT staff must be dispatched to classrooms, they will wear gloves and masks and we ask that faculty and staff put on their mask when they see IT staff approaching. If masks are not worn, IT staff may request faculty and staff to put on their mask. For the safety of all, service is contingent upon all parties wearing masks.
- Masks should remain on by all parties present, throughout the interaction with IT staff
- Faculty/staff must remain no less than 6ft from IT staff
- All shared surfaces must be cleaned before and after being touched by anyone
We’re going to implement a moratorium on face-to-face training and meetings for the near future, in favor of online remote training and meetings through Zoom
All shared surfaces, items passed from one party to the next, etc., will be wiped down with antiviral cleaning supplies after every interaction.